Aright, so I have been wrapping up my studies..... thats right, I said it.
But anywhatsagigger...I am writing an essay for Comm class where I am asked to define communication in my own words. I am currently in the proccess of doing so, and until I am finished I won't be able to fully explain how much I know..... oh Im excited.
But lemme hear it, what you think?
Here are several things to think of as you construct your own definition:
-Its purpose is to transmit messages and signasls over space for the purpose of controling a space or people.
-it is the maintence of society in time, the representation of shared beliefs, and not imparting information
-it constructs and defines the reality in which we live in, fully defining every aspect of our society and the interaction that occur within it.
think homies.
Thom, if you don't come up with something good, I will respect you no longer.
Peace, Dave
PS - stay sick wit it
Monday, December 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wait hold up, are you trying to get us to write your paper for you?
ReplyDeleteBut since I have nothing better to do:
ReplyDeleterelated to your third bullet point "it constructs and defines the reality in which we live in, fully defining every aspect of our society and the interaction that occur within it". I think our means of communication very clearly fall short of fully and comprehensively defining our reality. In fact, I think our current means of communication is inherently flawed, in that it assumes we all experience stimuli similarly. In other words, when you say a chair is red, you assume that I experience the color red in the same way that you do. This assumption is fundamentally flawed, because there is no indication that any such experience is similar at all.
That is all.
This is what I expect from someone who plagiarized a paper on mos def.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI clearly remember Jake explaining that idea (that "red" may be something different to each of us) to me in 9th grade.
ReplyDeleteIncidentally, I wrote a paper on the subject for my philosophy of mind class the other week.
My thesis was that the more a perception helps (or impedes) our DNA's ability to survive and grow, the more conscious that experience necessarily becomes. I used examples like pain, sex, and also seeing colors(all of the colors we see are colors that seem to be related to important stimulus in our enviroment like water, red meat, vegatables etc.)
The theory is probably bullshit but hopefully it was convincing enough to get me a good grade.
Also Dave, it sounds like you are really off to a great start. I hope it went well.
-rob